Many people think using Google, Amazon, Facebook et al is the only way. But that’s not true and we have to be more vocal about doing it differently.
I don’t use Google or Chrome, I don’t shop at Amazon, I don’t ride with Uber, I’m not on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. And you know what, life is fine.
Always room for improvement, but this is what I do currently.
- I follow news and people using Feedly, and I read it when I very well please.
- I host my own email and my own microblog with WordPress.
- I use non-algorithm alternatives like Mastodon and PixelFed.
- I block ads and tracking with 1Blocker, Better Blocker and DuckDuckGo.
- I prioritize buying local and I encourage a variety of vendors. Let bookstores sell books and grocery stores sell groceries!